Hearing Loss/Business/ADA

Dan Hobson danhobson at netins.net
Wed May 29 20:16:16 EST 1996

Recently a client came to me who is losing her hearing---has no usable
hearing in one ear and a corner audiogram with no response above 1500
Hz. She has had two warnings at work.  Her question to me was: "At what
point does the ratio of persons misunderstood vs persons talked to does
management find unacceptable?  How do we measure when a person becomes
DEAF by using this ratio? 1 in 3 acceptable? 4 in 5?"  When should she
consider herself deaf so that she needs to rely on sign language and not
her auditory and speech reading skills? At what point does it become
more than reasonable accomodation for the business?  These are tough
questions...alot depends on the perceived worth of the employee's skills
to the business.  Comments...recommendations...suggestions to Sandra via
danhobson