Acoustic tumours (fwd)

Jeffrey G. Sirianni sirianni at UTS.CC.UTEXAS.EDU
Mon May 13 01:11:21 EST 1996

_________________________________
>Subject: Acoustic tumours (fwd)
>Author:  OTOLOGY at ears.com at PMDF
>Date:    5/11/96 10:48 AM
>

>This message was posted in the newsgroup "bionet.audiology".  Any otological
>input would be greatly appreciated.
>
>Please send your reply to the following email address so that it is
>cross-posted into bionet.audiology.
>
>audiolog at net.bio.net
>
>>From: Diane Bailey <dbailey at cix.compulink.co.uk>
>>Newsgroups: bionet.audiology
>>Subject: Acoustic tumours
>>Date: Fri, 10 May 1996 23:42:39 GMT
>>

>>The latest information is sought, please.
>>
>>An MRI scan reveals a clearly defined 3cm acoustic neuroma
>>on the inner ear.  That ear is totally insensitive, which
>>has come about over 4 years.  Some loss of feeling, also, on
>>that side of the face, during the last 2 months, is
>>reported.  Patient is a young woman.
>>
>>It is reported that surgical excision of acoustic neuromas
>>(over some 200 local, UK National Health Service, cases)
>>leaves around 60% of patients with unilateral facial
>>paralysis.  Local medical opinion is that no restoration of
>>hearing on that side is possible, due to destruction of the
>>nerve by prolonged pressure from the tumour.  A four to six
>>month wait for surgery is envisaged.  Alternative
>>possibility is multi-polar radiotherapy, but size of tumour
>>is said to be against that, and other damage in the process
>>is said to be again likely.
>>
>>What, in this conference, would be considered the most
>>satisfactory (for the patient) treatment, anywhere; if
>>surgical, by what technique.  And where might be considered
>>the "best" centre for treatment.  References to published
>>papers, anywhere, would be appreciated.
>>
>>Looking to the future, what prospect is there of the
>>affected nerves, in such cases, being restored, if the inner
>>ear, for example, were not destroyed by the surgical
>>approach.
>>
>>Email response, please, or to the conference if considered
>>of broad interest.  Thankyou,
>>
>>Diane Bailey
>>dbailey at cix.compulink.co.uk
>>
>>Posted to:
>>sci.med,bionet.audiology,nptn.clinic.ent,bit.listserv.deaf-l

>* Jeff Sirianni, M.A., CCC-A           *
>* Sound Advice / R.G. Delaney, M.D.    *
>* 710 Water Street / Suite 404         *
>* Kerrville, TX  78028                 *
>*                                      *
>* (210) 896-1433                       *
>* (210) 896-1440 FAX                   *
>* sirianni at uts.cc.utexas.edu           *
>* jgsaudio at aol.com                     *

* Jeff Sirianni, M.A., CCC-A           *
* Sound Advice / R.G. Delaney, M.D.    *
* 710 Water Street / Suite 404         *
* Kerrville, TX  78028                 *
* (210) 896-1433                       *
* (210) 896-1440 FAX                   *