Acoustic tumours (fwd)

Tom Boismier boismier at umich.edu
Mon May 13 14:21:32 EST 1996

In article <199605130608.BAA15511 at curly.cc.utexas.edu>,
sirianni at UTS.CC.UTEXAS.EDU says...

>>     We feel that the best therapy for this woman with a 3 cm tumor and a
>>     non-hearing ear is the translabyrinthine route for surgical resection.
>>     The chances of having normal or near normal facial nerve function post
>>     operatively approaches 90+%

[snip]

I spent some time in the UK last year, and was surprised to find that surgeons
there report much higher incidence of facial paralysis following acoustic
tumor resection than is the norm here un the US. My understanding is that
the UK surgeons are much more aggressive about getting all of the tumor out.