Hearing aid use percentages

HearWHAC HearWHAC at netins.net
Tue May 7 21:40:31 EST 1996

Dave writes some interesting stuff:
>Total number of people with a Profound loss:  0.89 million
>Percentage of market penetration for Profound:  0.27 million / 0.89
>million = 30%
>Skipping all the math, here are the results from the other categories:
>Severe:  3.83 million people; 54% market penetration
>Moderate:  12.14 million people; 24% market penetration
>Mild:  9.95 million people; 6% market penetration

Next question. There is no "standard" classification for Mild, Moderate,
Severe and Profound. Several years ago we found different authors came up
with different definitions of each of the four classifications. I wonder
what definition he used.

My next question. Of the 9.95 million people he defines as having a "Mild"
hearing loss, I wonder how many actually are candidates for hearing aids?

Of the 0.89 million people with a profound hearing loss, how many are "deaf"
and are not candidates for hearing aids. (I assume this classification does
include the "deaf.")

Our greatest market is the persons with "Moderate" and "Severe" hearing
losses. How do you reach them? I believe we have as good or better market
penetration in the United States with it's private paying distribution
system as any country in Europe with their government health service hearing
aid distribution systems. Or do we?

Paul Woodard ;-)