HCFA Audiology Regulation

HearWHAC HearWHAC at netins.net
Thu May 2 21:36:20 EST 1996

David Delage says...
Forgive me for not having the exact numbers, but about 10% of the US
>population would be helped by hearing aids, and only about 1/5 of
>those people actually HAVE hearing aids.

Someone, what are the "exact numbers"? I have always been suspicious of some
of the stuff I see. It is nowhere close to "10%." I went through a stack of
patient charts today of persons we sold hearing aids to back in 1988, 1989
and 1990 and have not seen any of them since 1992. Nearly all of them had
slight hearing losses, i.e. < 30dB thresholds, and many with extreme "ski
slopes" > 2 KHz. I do not believe they have ever gotten their money's worth
from their hearing aids - because their hearing loss is not that great!

I personally have very normal hearing to 2K, then 30 dB at 3K and 45 dB at
4K. I tried to wear Oticon E43s several years ago but gave up after about
three months. I don't have that much of a problem!

I believe we are counting a lot of persons with minimal hearing losses that
really are not good candidates for hearing aids. With my loss, because I am
> 60 years old, I am finding my friends also have hearing losses so they
"speak up." Obviously, I am a "conservative" fitter, but when you find so
many of your patients with these kinds of losses spend a lot of money for
hearing aids and then never wear them, I do have some reservations!

How is this for a discussion starter?

Paul Woodard ;-)
Des Moines Iowa USA

Nearly everybody wears eyeglasses. Only a very small percentage of the
overall population are truly candidates for hearing aids.