Dream Hearing Aid Wish List

Julian Hoogstra julian_hoogstra at mindlink.bc.ca
Tue Jun 25 20:49:31 EST 1996

In article <4qn82r$8pi at carrera.intergate.bc.ca> Bertrand Chan <tsdi at intergate.bc.ca> writes:
>From: Bertrand Chan <tsdi at intergate.bc.ca>
>Subject: Dream Hearing Aid Wish List
>Date: 24 Jun 1996 23:24:11 GMT

>We are a group of people (P.eng, ENT surgeon & MD) who are conceiving a
>new generation of hearing aid. At the moment, we are doing some research
>into what our clients would want. We would be most grateful if you could
>give us some opinion on the followings:

>1. Functions/ Features

Voice programmable for amplification of specific frequencies, threshhold
cutoffs, etc. I know this is a tall order given the processing power currently
needed for voice recognition.

>2. Size

As small as possible. An implantable device would be optimum, perhaps mostly
in the mastoid process to allow the ear canal to be as uncluttered as
possible.

>3. Price

Obviously low price is desirable, but inclusion of the other features
listed above and below would make a high price 'tolerable'.

>4. Appearance

Unimportant for me.

>5. Ease of use

As per point 1, voice recognition would obviate a lot of fiddling around.

>6. Durability

A long lived battery, or powered by the human body via some metabolic process.

>7. Other related issues

Easily upgradable with new features, or cheap enough to throw away in favour
of a newer model. This would likely contradict my implantable wish.

Self-cleaning!

>Thank you very much for your time.

>Bertrand Chan
>(tsdi at intergate.bc.ca)