Calculating Percentage Hearing Loss

Wayne and Louise Ivory ivory at gateway.net.au
Tue Jul 30 10:02:38 EST 1996

I work for a mining company in Western Australia.  I have a colleague
who works in Occupational Health, and is trying to produce some graphs
and statistics of noise-related hearing loss for our employees.  He
has an algorithm for binaural and monaural percentage hearing loss,
but he said it's not good for noise-related figures.  I'm not in the
field, so forgive me if I'm a bit vague here, but from what I
understand these algorithms are weighted towards detecting
low-frequency hearing loss, whereas noise-related hearing loss is more
concerned with high frequencies.

We don't have internet access at work yet, so I told him I'd have a
look at home.  I've been looking on the web for about an hour and a
half now, but haven't managed to find anything specific enough.

If somebody could provide an algorithm/program for this, we'd be most
appreciative.  Please email replies.

Wayne Ivory
Western Australia