concerns about profession

smason at SWELTER.PHYSICS.UTORONTO.CA smason at SWELTER.PHYSICS.UTORONTO.CA
Tue Jul 30 15:58:16 EST 1996

o.k. first off, I'm going to be starting my Masters degree in Audiology
in September.  When I started considering this profession almost two
years ago, I decided to talk to an audiologist to get a sense about what
to expect.  She encouraged me, saying she has found it a fulfilling,
dynamic career, one that she is proud of.  I have done alot of
volunteer work with the deaf community as well as within a research
setting. Just recently, I decided to do a little more indepth research,
which included job searchs, newgroup postings etc.  On the one hand,
organizations say it is "one of the hottest professions", median
salaries approx. $39,000. On the other hand, I read from other
audiologists that salaries are going down (for various reasons), some
feel disillusioned with their career and that there are no jobs for new
graduates.  This seems to correlate with my job search findings: that
is, for every ten speech pathology job, there is MAYBE one audiology
job.
So could someone set me straight, why are there such drastically
differing opinions about audiology as a career path? My own personal
goal is to have a fulfilling career, but whats the point in spending
three years in graduate school for only occasional, poorly paid work?

thanks,
Sarah Mason