Mail from NCSA X Mosaic 2.7b4

Andrew Strasfogel, by way of sirianni at uts.cc.utexas.edu Jeffrey G. Sirianni astrasfo at wo0340.wo.blm.gov
Mon Jul 22 22:59:12 EST 1996

{Redirected email from personal account to bionet.audiology newsgroup}

I am new to this site so please do not feel compelled to reply.  Please
refer to
the correct email address at the end of this message if you care to respond.

Almost two years ago (9/94) I returned from a one-day trip to Denver from
Washington, DC, and noticed a distortion in sound when listening on the phone
through my right ear.  Tests showed a barely measurable inner ear hearing loss
in that ear.  I had a battery of tests, including an MRI, tests for Meuniere's,
etc. and all were negative.  I have never had any dizziness associated with this
hearing loss.  There is occasional recuitment but not often.  I compensate
through
normal hearing in the left ear and by avoiding the right ear when listening on
the phone.  I tried 4 or 5 sessions of acupuncture, but this had no effect.  I
also tried going without caffeine, again without effect.

My question is - are you aware of any facility near DC which is performing
research on this type of hearing loss, and/or are testing treatment methods?
I once was in contact with Johns Hopkins but misplaced that information.  I am
otherwise in excellent health.  I do notice a "fullness" in both ears on
occasion,
but usually can get my ears to "pop", as was the case on my latest monthly
airplave trip.

Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated!  My correct email
address is
astrasfo at wo0033wp.wo.blm.gov