Audiology - For Women Only?

David Weesner tapeworm at net2.intserv.com
Wed Jul 17 21:16:29 EST 1996

rafael-quinonez at uiowa.edu wrote:
>  if you look for the young faces, very few of them are men.  One ENTI know told me that he had no audiologist working full time in his
office.  They
were women with families.  His tone was pretty snotty as he discussed
this with me.

It is a fact that having men in the field keeps salaries higher.  It
used to be that
audiologists made more on the average than SLPs (ie-more men).  This
trend has
changed now that we have fewer men in the field, and SLPs are in high
demand.

I think one of the reasons that women are paid less than men in this
field has to do with raising a family.  I don't think it has anything to
do with discrimination.

A common scenario is this:

Young woman graduates, completes CFY, works at a facility at entry-level
pay.  She may work there for as many as five years, and along the way
she gets married, and has a baby.  She takes off about 9 months for
maternity leave, which is perfect for a CFY to be trained.

After the baby comes, the audiologist decides that she must stay home
with the clhild longer.  She cannot keep her position on hold, and it is
filled, often by the CFY.  She stays home with the baby until it is 3-5
years old, then goes back to work (often part-time) at a new facility.
At entry level wage.

By the time this audiologist is 50 years old and has three children, whe
would have worked 17 real years, while a male who started at the same
time has been working for 25 years.  And he has a better chance of
staying with the same facility, drawing higher pay and advancement.

Someone posted that at conferences, there is a better male/female
ration, but all the young faces are female (thereform the older faces
are male).  This has not changed in the ten years I have been in
audiology.  It seems that far fewer women are taking audiology to
retirement age.

All this young blood few long-timers keeps the average pay down because
so many audiologists must accept the lower pay that comes with being a
new hire to a facility.  If anyone does a study in which they compare
males' and females' pay, and correct for time in one position, and true
number of years worked, I would bet that their pay would not be
disparate.

Just my old two cents' worth again.

David Weesner
on the New Jersey Shore