Audiology - For Women Only?

rafael-quinonez at uiowa.edu rafael-quinonez at uiowa.edu
Mon Jul 15 09:10:19 EST 1996

I graduated from UT-Austin 8/95.  There were no males in a class of what should've
been about 10 students.  The class behind me had one male.  The class ahead of me
had one male.

The clinic supervisors had done some research on salaries, % of males/females in
audiology over the years.  From what they presented, there was compelling evidence
that the move towards an AuD quite possibly could have its roots in the fact that
salaries have *not* increased at the same rates as they did in the 50s and 60s when
the profession was mostly (completely?) comprised of men.  The influx of women into
audiology has created a substantial drop in the rate of increase in salaries.

If you look at the audience in a meeting like AAA, there is a nice mix of men and
women.  However, if you look for the young faces, very few of them are men.  One ENT
I know told me that he had no audiologist working full time in his office.  They
were women with families.  His tone was pretty snotty as he discussed this with me.

It is a fact that having men in the field keeps salaries higher.  It used to be that
audiologists made more on the average than SLPs (ie-more men).  This trend has
changed now that we have fewer men in the field, and SLPs are in high demand.

Someone also mentioned that few students are aware of how crappy the job market is
in audiology these days.  I agree.  I'm doing my CFY now, and am really not sure I
want to stay in this field if my only job options when I graduate are doing air,
bone, and speech for an ENT somewhere.  What can one do with a MA in audiology if
one doesn't want to be an audiologist, or one can't find a job....ack!

Just my thoughts.
Susan

Univ. of Iowa Hosp. & Clinics
smoore at otolaryngology-po.oto.uiowa.edu