IUBio Biosequences .. Software .. Molbio soft .. Network News .. FTP


Tom Boismier boismier at umich.edu
Mon Jul 15 07:07:32 EST 1996

In article <199607132335.SAA00528 at moe.cc.utexas.edu>, 
sirianni at uts.cc.utexas.edu says...

>In Illinois we have run across person(s) using the title "vestibulogist".
>These are not audiologists, nor can I determine what (if any) training they
>have.  Has anyone out there heard this term - if so, do you know what its
>requirements are, etc?

Gee, sounds like somebody like me... I've got 10+ years experience in 
vestibular testing and rehab, but since there's no formal "vestibuology" 
training, titles are made up by the institution. My favorite title is 
"vestibular scientist", which was bestowed on me when I was teaching ENG at 
U of Cambridge in the UK. Currently, there is no formal certification. The 
American Neuro-otological Society is putting together a course package that 
will lead to certification as an ENG technologist, but this does not include 
rotary chair, posturography or vestibular rehab. Since there is no 
certification now, you have to look at the CV or a job description to figure 
out what somebody means when they use a title like that.

BTW, my title at U of Michigan is assistant director, Vestibular Testing 
Center. (Doesn't really say whether I can actually do or interpret an ENG 
though, does it? ...  ;) We call our technicians "ENG technologists", they are 
trained to perform ENG, R. chair and posturography, but do not interpret test 
results or do rehab. The same tech at a different institution may do it all.

More information about the Audiolog mailing list

Send comments to us at biosci-help [At] net.bio.net