Audiology - For Women Only?

Jeffrey G. Sirianni sirianni at uts.cc.utexas.edu
Sat Jul 13 12:49:22 EST 1996

In article <v01530501ae06958c492d@[206.163.4.41]>, chollevo at PACIFIER.COM
says...

>>So audiology in the USA will soon become a stereotyped
>>female profession like nursing.

"will soon" ?? Huh ?? Seems to me that it already is based on
the gender make-up of CCC-A'ed audiologists.

{Note: I recently asked the office staff where I work "What did
the doctor say to patients when a hearing evaluation was needed,
before I was there and a female audiologist was there?"
Their response was "Oh, I'll have my girl test your hearing".
Now it is "I'll have my audiologist test your hearing". This is
sad, but will not change until audiologists stand up and be proud
of who they are and what they do.  I have been under the influence
that many audiologists, like ones who do not bother to join newsgroups,
AAA, of even read journals, that they are pretty apathetic about the
position they will in the medical realm.

Of course no one who reads this newsgroup feels this way. <= Flame Blanket

BTW, although nursing may be a female dominated profession, the principles
of supply and demand have made the salaries of nurses pretty high.  There
may not be an increase in respect, but a nurse (RN) can laugh all the way
to the bank.  Perhaps an AuD standard would reduce the glut of audiologists
and result in better pay for all, wether male of female dominated.

--
Jeffrey Sirianni, M.A., CCC-A  @(((<{
Sound Advice / R.G. Delaney, MD
sirianni at uts.cc.utexas.edu