Women in audiology

HearWHAC HearWHAC at netins.net
Fri Jul 12 00:32:14 EST 1996

Jennifer Lantz, MS, CF-A asks:
>why
>is having a female-dominated profession cause for alarm?

Good question, Jennifer. If audiology were a male-dominated profession, how
would you answer the reversed question, "Is having a male-dominated
profession cause for alarm?"

Is there any value to audiology being a female-dominated profession. I
believe there is more value in having the profession gender balanced! (Dream
on, Paul!)

Paul ;-)

My daughter-in-law chose not to become an otolaryngologist because it is a
male-dominated profession. She is an excellent pediatrician in a
female-dominated profession. Of course, pediatricians are poorly paid when
compared to otolaryngologist's incomes.

I am biased toward a 50/50 gender split in audiology. We are 50/50 in our
practice and there is great value to be gained here! (The 50/50 split was
accidental, not planned, but it works well!)

Once many years ago, an otolaryngologist wanted to share an "audiologist"
between us because he believed he did not have enough work to keep one busy
full time. When I learned his main criteria for selecting an audiologist was
that "she" must be young and attractive, I said, "Thanks, but no thanks!" My
criteria for hiring an audiologist is, "Can 'the audiologist' do a good
work?"