loud computer fan

Kate Johnston Kate at ricochet.net
Wed Jul 10 15:29:57 EST 1996

Douglas Baldwin wrote:

> I have a question for people working with programmable hearing aids, or
> I guess even for those who are not, but use a computer for other things
> in their dispensing office.
>
> Has anyone found an especially quiet computer fan?
>
> I have a fairly new pentium 133  -  a nice improvement over my previous
> computer.  But the fan is just as loud, if not louder than before.
>
> What happens is when I am programming hearing aids, or even just working
> with a patient with non-programmables, they usually notice the fan noise
> being amplified and think it is some kind of circuit noise.  I often
> have to take them into the sound booth to prove to them that it really
> is the computer.

I am not wearing programmable hearing aids right now, but I -have- had
this problem.  Right now, I am at home, sitting in a room with three
computers, and I was unaware of the fan noise until I read your post!
But then I've had my hearing aids for six years, and I'm used to this
room.

I notice the problem is most annoying and noticeable when I have (or am
trying out) brand new hearing aids, and am having to get used to the new
quality of sounds.  EVERYTHING sounds different, and some sounds that
were previously tolerable suddenly sound very annoying. This also occurs
when I go visit a place I don't go to often .. I may hear the same
sounds in a familiar environment and they don't bother me, but in a new
environment, I WILL notice them.  I know this doesn't solve your
problem, but I hope it helps in understanding WHY.

For your particular problem, I like the idea someone suggested of a sign
saying a noisy fan is going.

Kate
kate at ricochet.net
Sunnyvale, CA