Women in audiology

Jennifer Lantz uncaudio at IX.NETCOM.COM
Wed Jul 10 16:51:13 EST 1996

The majority of audiologists I have come into contact with are women.
It does not surprise me in the least that a small sampling like you
mentioned would be all female. My entering class in grad school was 8
women out of 8 students. The next year was 4 out of 4. This next year
there is a male, but from what I understand from talking to others,
this is pretty standard (i.e. very few males). I have read and believe
that female-dominated professions(SLP and audiology) are paid lower
than male-dominated professions (e.g. engineering). Besides that, why
is having a female-dominated profession cause for alarm?

Jennifer Lantz, MS, CF-A
Hearing and Speech Care Center at UMC