Audiology - For Women Only?

David Weesner tapeworm at net2.intserv.com
Tue Jul 9 05:01:31 EST 1996

HearWHAC wrote:

> A topic for discussion. The latest AFA Torchbearer tells of the first three
> AuD graduates from Baylor - all women! There was also a picture of the AuD
> students at Central Michigan University - all women!
>
> Is this good? The "traditional hearing aid dealers" have been about 50/50
> male/female which I have felt was a healthy mix. But 100% female! No way!
> IMHO this is awful! So audiology in the USA will soon become a stereotyped
> female profession like nursing.
>
> What are the pros? What are the cons? Am I just being a sexist?
>
> Paul ;-)

I have noticed thie trend too, ever since I declared audiology as my
major.  The secretary ran into the department chair's office gleefully
shouting, "a MAN wants to major in audiology!"

Why?  Who knows for sure.  But I think that most will agree that the pay
is low and jobs are scarce in comparison to other masters-level-entry
fields.  Frankly, I think that that's a little secret most students
do not know when they declare a major.  Most of the students I see are
shocked when they have a hard time getting a job after earning a
master's degree.

David Weesner, Audiologist
New Jersey