Audiology - For Women Only?

dybala at utdallas.edu dybala at utdallas.edu
Mon Jul 8 20:00:19 EST 1996

HearWHAC (HearWHAC at netins.net) wrote:
> A topic for discussion. The latest AFA Torchbearer tells of the first three
> AuD graduates from Baylor - all women! There was also a picture of the AuD
> students at Central Michigan University - all women!

> Is this good? The "traditional hearing aid dealers" have been about 50/50
> male/female which I have felt was a healthy mix. But 100% female! No way!
> IMHO this is awful! So audiology in the USA will soon become a stereotyped
> female profession like nursing.

> What are the pros? What are the cons? Am I just being a sexist?

> Paul ;-)

There are two male students out of the fifteen or so at Baylor,
and two or three at Central Mich.

I don't know where you have been Paul, but I am one of three
males amongst 10 or so masters audiology students and the only
male Ph.D. student in audiology among 5 women.

BTW, I was at the student meeting at AAA and I was very much the minority.
Give it 15 years and the ratios will becoe very close to
what it is now in SLP.

I hope this profession never becomes stereotyped as anything
but well worth the money that government/heath care will be willing
to pay for it! %)

--
Thank you for your support,
Paul Dybala