Audiology - For Women Only?

Catherine Hollevoet chollevo at PACIFIER.COM
Mon Jul 8 12:42:02 EST 1996

>A topic for discussion. The latest AFA Torchbearer tells of the first three
>AuD graduates from Baylor - all women! There was also a picture of the AuD
>students at Central Michigan University - all women!
>
>Is this good? The "traditional hearing aid dealers" have been about 50/50
>male/female which I have felt was a healthy mix. But 100% female! No way!
>IMHO this is awful! So audiology in the USA will soon become a stereotyped
>female profession like nursing.
>
>What are the pros? What are the cons? Am I just being a sexist?
>
>Paul ;-)

I do not want Audiology to become a "traditional female profession" either.
As we all know (but may by reluctant to admit), traditional female
professions pay less than if there is a equal mix. Another question is why
men are not choosing this profession as much as in the past?
Catherine