Occlusion Effect

SAlam17472 salam17472 at aol.com
Thu Jul 4 11:02:27 EST 1996

Hello,

I have a hearing loss of 42 db to 70 db (moderate to moderately severe) in
each
ear.  For the last ten years, because I have been using two hearing aids I
know what occlusion effect is.  My own voice hurts me.  I hardly speak.  I
cannot
articulate.  It is a tremendous disadvantage in the working world.
Needless to
say this is a frustrating problem.

Two years ago I tried Starkey's CIC in both ears but due to lack of gain
returned
it.  The occlusion effect was still there but not as much.

When I use one hearing aid (PHONAK,Picco-Forte,MAX Gain 72 db, Linear) in
either ear my own voice do not bother me, but understandably hearing is
not so
good especially in group situations.

Is there any solution to this?

If I buy a CIC for my left ear :
(1) How does this imbalance, that is, CIC in one ear and LInear aid in the
other
     ear going to affect?
(2) Would my own voice continue to bother me?

Any suggestion to this problem would be appreciated.

Thank You,

Syed

PS - Really wish I could hear equally good in both ears with one hearing
aid.