loud computer fan

George Cire gcire at icsi.net
Tue Jul 2 12:39:36 EST 1996

Douglas Baldwin <dugby at imt.net> wrote:

>I have a question for people working with programmable hearing aids, or
>I guess even for those who are not, but use a computer for other things
>in their dispensing office.

>Has anyone found an especially quiet computer fan?

>I have a fairly new pentium 133  -  a nice improvement over my previous
>computer.  But the fan is just as loud, if not louder than before.

>What happens is when I am programming hearing aids, or even just working
>with a patient with non-programmables, they usually notice the fan noise
>being amplified and think it is some kind of circuit noise.  I often
>have to take them into the sound booth to prove to them that it really
>is the computer.

>This probably seems really petty, but it makes me crazy to
>constantly have to explain the situation.  If anyone else has
>experienced the same thing, or if anyone has suggestions, I'd be curious
>to hear it.

>Doug Baldwin
>Rehder Hearing Clinic

I have found the very same thing in my practice.  It is now time for
me to buy a new computer and I am looking at a Laptop.  The laptop we
use for DPOAE's is a Toshiba and it is very quiet even with a docking
station.

There are at least two other options re: quiet computets,  Decibel
Instruments markets a Quiet PC that is designed for audio type
applications such as audiology and recording studio work.  They have a
web site by I can't remenber the URL.  The other option is Silent
Systems, a computer company that makes a similar product that sheilds
the HDD and power supply fan with a resultant quiet function.

I hope this is helpful.

George Cire
Victoria Regional Hearing Center