Pay & Benefits Audiology

Jeffrey G. Sirianni sirianni at uts.cc.utexas.edu
Fri Jan 19 13:08:38 EST 1996

In article <199601190245.SAA00521 at mg1.cdsnet.net>, laserman at cdsnet.net (Craig Gustafson) says:

>Hi,
>I'd like info on pay rates for part-time audiologists (certified &
>state-licensed).
>Specifically, I'd like a sampling of hourly wages and benefits for part-time
>audiologists in
>the U.S.
>Any suggestions, including other sites at which I might post this query,
>would be
>appreciated.
>Jackie LeBrun, M.A., CCC-A
>via laserman at cdsnet.net
>laserman at cdsnet.net
>Craig Gustafson
>National Engineers for
>Reseach and Development Society
>   N.E.R.D.S.

You have opened up a "can of worms" here with me.  Thanks !

My concern has always been that recently graduated audiologists sell
themselves WAY short of what they are worth.  People who accept jobs
that pay $15k a year are essentially saying that they do not consider
themselves essential to a practice.  For all the time that is spent
in the classroom, plus the experience that one obtains, surely one
must consider themselves worth more than that.

(IMHO mode ON)
Many recent audiologist graduates consider their occupation as a second
income to their household.  Being in the university setting, I have
often heard students ready to graduate say "Well I just want a simple
job...not too much money... because my spouse/future spouse makes a lot
of money as an (fill in a high paying occupation here), so we really
don't need the money.  It disturbs me to think that these people consider
their profession a "hobby"... Something to do while their spouse is away
at the office...
(IMHO mode OFF)

In that light, I would hope that recent graduates would expect and accept
only those positions that treat them like trained professionals.

Depending on experience and expertise, I would say that an average salary
of between $26-30k would be an acceptable salary for a full-time begining
position.  An hourly rate of between $15 to $20 would be acceptable.

Jeff

Jeff Sirianni     @(((<{
University of Texas at Austin
Communication Sciences and Disorders