hearing handicap unilateral loss

Jeffrey G. Sirianni sirianni at uts.cc.utexas.edu
Fri Jan 5 12:49:53 EST 1996

In article <199601031545.HAA04429 at ix5.ix.netcom.com>, dhlewis1 at IX.NETCOM.COM (DAVID H. LEWIS) says:

>I have bbeen requested by our state vocational rehabilitation dept to
>justify their provision for services to a patient with a unilateral
>hearing loss (no response in bad ear, ess. normal hrng good ear). He
>doesn't meet their standard requirements given one normal ear.  They
>are interested in some type of documentation of handicapping effect of
>unilateral loss...we have talked about poorer speech discrim in noise,
>etc but they want a more firm "degree of handicap".  Any references or
>prior similar experiences would be helpful....thanks!
>
>Mary Lewis, M.A. CCC, FAAA

In the State of Texas, the Program for Amplification for the Children of
Texas (PACT) does not provide any assistance for children with unilateral
hearing loss.  I have such a patient under my care and have sent numerous
studies to the school system to help justify an FM system for this child.
I was able to borrow an FM system from PACT and this child has done 100%
better.  His teachers are hailing the device and are urging the school
system to purchase an FM system for him.

I have the research articles in my office and I will send the references
aas soon as I can.  If someone knows them off-hand, please post.

Jeff Sirianni     @(((<{
University of Texas at Austin
Communication Sciences and Disorders
CMA, 2nd Floor Clinic