Comments Re: Madsen Discussion

Jeffrey G. Sirianni sirianni at UTS.CC.UTEXAS.EDU
Fri Jan 5 12:44:32 EST 1996

Dear Bionet.Audiology Participants

I am certainly glad that the debate has settled down on the discussion
involving Madsen.  I don't particularly like having to step in as
co-moderator of this group, but I feel a need to at this moment.  Here is my
position on these matters...

I agree with all of those participants who believe that the newsgroup cannot
and should not be used for commercial purposes.  It is perfectly acceptable
for non-commercially affiliated persons to comment on past, present, and
future products on the market.  That is how we decide what to purchase and
what to dispense to our patients.  Healthy informative discussion is
certainly encouraged.  It is NOT acceptable for individuals having
commercial affilation to boast about their products or disclaim competitor's
products.  This constitutes advertising and this is strictly forbidden by
the guidelines of the BIOSCI administrators.  These guidelines where agreed
upon by myself and Susan Moreland when we started this newsgroup.  I am not
sure how to respond to the fact that David Delage is the son of a
commercially-affiliated individual, but I would venture that some bias made
be present.  In any event, I would recommend anyone with
commercial-affiliation, or who feel that they are commercially-influenced in
one form or another, to refrain from commenting against competitor's
products or hailing their own products.  This does not exclude providing
factual information, since this is what this newsgroup is all about.

In summary: If you are commercially-affiliated/influenced then,

1. Please provide participants with factual and technical information that
is requested.

2. Please refrain from any rhetoric that "promotes one's product" or
"disputes the integrity of a competitor's product".  Both types of rhetoric
constitute "advertising", which not appropriate for this forum.

Thank you for your understanding.

Jeff Sirianni

* Jeff Sirianni                        *
* University of Texas at Austin        *
* Communication Sciences and Disorders *
* sirianni at uts.cc.utexas.edu           *
* jgsaudio at aol.com                     *