Advances in Research for (Hearing) Impaired

dybala at utdallas.edu dybala at utdallas.edu
Mon Apr 15 17:11:56 EST 1996

Xiangyang Zheng (xyz at ACSU.BUFFALO.EDU) wrote:
> Our recent studies show that damaged inner ear afferent synapses can
> completely recover both structurally and functionally following kainic
> acid excitoxicity.

> XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

>                                                     Xiangyang ZHENG
>    \\ // ||===   //            ||=== ||==||         xyz at acsu.buffalo.edu
>   ====== || //  //===========  || // ||  ||         215 Parker Hall
>     ||   || \\   || ||==|| ||  || \\ ||==||         SUNY at Buffalo, NY 14214
>  ========||  \\  || ||==|| ||  ||  \\||  ||         Tel:(716)829-2001 (o)
>    //\\  || \\   ||        ||  || \\ ||  ||             (716)837-3237 (h)
>   //   \\||      ||       \\|  ||    ||==||         Fax:(716)829-2980

> WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

> On Sat, 13 Apr 1996, Stanzione dennis e wrote:

> > This note is to inquire on whether there are any advances in research
> > in the area of auditory nerve restorations.
> >
> > These advances, if available, would be very beneficial to those impacted
> > by this shortcoming and make life much easier for us within the 'norms of
> > society.'
> >

> > Thank you.

The problem is that nerve deafness is a misnomer.  Persons with
"sensorineural loss" or "nerve deafness" really have a
sensori or cochlear loss.  Mostly, damage to the outer and possible
outer hair cells in the cochlea.

Therefore, restoration of the afferent synapses will not
restore someones hearing if the damage is cochlear in orgin.

--
Thank you for your support,
Paul Dybala
dybala at utdallas.edu