Info Request: History of Dictograph Products Corp?

admin at SCONCEPT.COM admin at SCONCEPT.COM
Wed Oct 4 23:27:12 EST 1995

By request, I'm reposting the following request for information. TIA for
any help you can offer!

I<>One of our users from The Netherlands has asked me to post this for him.
I<>(I edited the translation, and got approval for this version.)

I<>Christine Tlougan            admin at sconcept.com
I<>Hearing Exchange Online      http://www.sconcept.com/hearing.html
I<>---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I<>Hello!

I<>Acousticon Audiciens is in the process of putting together a special
I<>edition book about the 75 year history of our company. However, we don't
I<>have much information about our parent company, Dictograph Products
I<>Inc., or their products.

I<>If you have any information about the origins of the Acousticon hearing
I<>aid, or about Dictograph Products Inc., we would appreciate hearing from
I<>you. (Addresses are at the bottom of the page.)

I<>What we have so far:
I<>__________________________________________________________________________

I<>Dictograph Products Corporation (aka Dictograph Products Inc.)

I<>Dictograph Products Corporation (DPC) existed in America by early 1900.
I<>Until World War II, DPC was an important producer and supplier of
I<>hearing aids in Europe under the trade name "Acousticon". These hearing
I<>aids also were sold under license around the world.

I<>Along with hearing aids, DPC also produced dictographs (home telephone
I<>installations) and radio products.

I<>In Europe, several companies such as Oticon in Denmark, and A&M in
I<>England, spun off from DPC. In the Netherlands, Acousticon is now an
I<>organization of 20 shops specializing in hearing aids.

I<>One of the things we know about DPC's past is that Queen Alexandra
I<>wore an Acousticon hearing aid at her coronation in London in 1901.
                                                                [B
I<>In Europe, little is known about DPC. We have information which states
I<>that the general offices were established at 220 West 42nd Street,
I<>New York City in 1925. By 1945, they had moved to 580 Fifth Avenue,
I<>New York 19, New York.

I<>As of 1925, other offices were located in Boston, Philadelphia,
I<>Pittsburg, Detroit, Chicago, Kansas City, and San Francisco. In 1945,
I<>the factory was listed at 95-25 149th Street, Jamaica, New York.

I<>A.R. Beem                             arnoud at euronet.nl
I<>Acousticon Audiciens
I<>Leigraafseweg 8
I<>6983 BP Doesburg
I<>The Netherlands

I<>Thank you for your time, and assistance!