Recommendations for hearing aid mfr.???

HearWHAC HearWHAC at netins.net
Sun Oct 1 15:44:49 EST 1995

Bill Lapson wrote:
>>I need a hearing aid... or two! Can anyone one suggest a good manufacturer
>and hearing aid type? Many thanks for your comments.

Susan Morland made an excellent reply:
>prescribing a hearing aid is a highly individulistic matter.  each company
>has its strengths and weaknesses for different amplification needs and the
>style of your aid will depend upon many factors such as your lifestyle, how
>much you're willing to spend, and the individual characteristics of your
ear
>such as how much cerumen (ear wax) you produce.  therefore, it is
impossible

And don't overlook Bill's hearing loss! Each hearing loss is unique with an
almost infinite number of variables. For instance, one manufacturer, 3M,
claims their Multi-Pro hearing aid has more than three billion different
available "responses."

A literal answer to Bill's question would be to list all sixty plus of the
world's "good hearing aid manufacturers" plus every "(good) hearing aid
type" they make. Bill, that's more than you want to hear. Take my word for
it, the suggestion Susan gives to you is better:
>the best thing for you to do is to see an audiologist who will take the
time
>to give you a thorough evaluation and discuss your options with you.  your
>role is to bring with you a list of your questions and concerns so you can
>be sure that all of your needs are met to your satisfaction.

Paul Woodard
HearWHAC