Acoustio neuromas help!

Tom Boismier, MPH teb at mailgw-vtc.oto.med.umich.edu
Mon May 1 07:05:38 EST 1995

In article <3nmu89$9ut at geraldo.cc.utexas.edu> sirianni at uts.cc.utexas.edu (Jeffrey Sirianni) writes:

>Most signs and symptoms are unilateral, including dizziness, tinnitus, hearing loss,
>extremely poor speech recognition, and a hole host of other signs assessable via
>audiological procedures.

In our experience, most folks with acoustic neuroma never experience vertigo
or unsteadiness until after surgical excision. Here's why (we think): The
neuroma is very slow growing, so the CNS has ample time to compensate for
changes in the output of the affected end organ. Surgery produces a sudden
change in the output of the end organ (going from "some" to "none"), which the
CNS will need time to compensate for. We routinely have our physical therapist
who specializes in vestibular rehab see our acoustic patients 1 to 2 days
after surgery to get them up walking, and to teach the patient a generic
vestibular rehab excercise program.