Possible permanent hearing loss from concert?

susan moreland smorelan at MAGNUS.ACS.OHIO-STATE.EDU
Mon Jul 31 16:35:00 EST 1995

drogers at primenet.com (David D. Rogers) writes:

>>>I went to a rock concert that took place between Thrusday night/Friday
>>>morning. Over the various acts, I estimate the total combined length of
>>>the music was around 3 1/2 hours, and while I don't know what the level of
>>>intensity was, it was louder than any concert I've been to in recent
>>>memory. (Along with that, I was also within 15-25 feet away from the
>>>speakers towards the final act.)
>>..attentuate..
>>>Is this account consistant with permanant hearing loss, and is there a
>>>chance that most or all of my previous hearing range will be recovered?
>>
>>I've had the same experience, with a week or so until my hearing seemed OK.
>>But supposedly there is a slight deficit each time you are exposed, so the
>>effect is cumulative even though you seem to recover fully.

there's a good analogy of trampling on grass.  you can walk across a patch
of grass and after you pass, the grass springs back up.... the first few
times. after a while the grass loses it ability to recover to its upright
position.  some blades may remain kinda hunched over, while others may be
damaged so much that they die. if you continue to trample that same area
over and over, eventually the grass will be completely lifeless.

okay, it's a crude comparison, but one that makes some sense if you
substitute "hair cells" for "blades of grass".
susan

"a woman without a man is like a fish without a bicycle."   - Gloria Steinem