Ethics and Audiology

HearWHAC HearWHAC at netins.net
Sun Jul 23 20:39:34 EST 1995

In article <artemis.52.001FF0BE at mindspring.com>, Terri in GA
(artemis at mindspring.com) says...

>     I had this happen recently in my office.  A patient chose to get his
>hearing aids elsewhere to "save money", but came to me when the 3M hearing
>aids were unsatisfactory to him and he could not wear them.  We charge a
>"programming fee" of $90.00 per aid that covers a year of reprogramming.
This
>is only charged on out of warranty hearing aids and situations such as
these.

3M programmable hearing aids have a two year warranty to the consumer. Most
persons, I believe, would expect a "warranty" to be good anywhere. 3M does
not reimburse us for our services that are performed during the warranty
period. General Motors does reimburse their dealers for in-warranty work. In
the past I have had persons walk away with bad feelings toward us when we
announced there would be a charge for services performed on a hearing aid
that is "under warranty."

>when a hearing aid
>is purchased elsewhere, we should not and cannot be expected to give our
>services away.
>     From a consumer's point of view...would you take a pair of glasses to
>a different optical place and expect them to adjust the lenses at no
charge?

Yes. I believe most opticians do offer free adjustments, etc.

>Would you take a modem that you bought at Best Buys to Comp USA and ask
them
>to repair it or replace it?

In this case I would not expect Comp USA to do it for free.

>Our patients will understand that we need to be
>compensated for our professional time.  WE need to understand that our
>expertise is indeed worth something.

Your excellent points were brought up in our staff meeting Friday morning.
It was an interesting discussion. We did come up with another solution, but
I'm going to save that until we've received some more ideas.

Thanks for your comments. I hope all of us will benefit from this
discussion.

Paul Woodard :-)
Des Moines IA