Ethics and Audiology

Terri Siegel artemis at mindspring.com
Thu Jul 20 19:55:37 EST 1995

     I had this happen recently in my office.  A patient chose to get his
hearing aids elsewhere to "save money", but came to me when the 3M hearing
aids were unsatisfactory to him and he could not wear them.  We charge a
"programming fee" of $90.00 per aid that covers a year of reprogramming.  This
is only charged on out of warranty hearing aids and situations such as these.
The differences that the patients perceive from proper programming is well
worth the charge from both their and our standpoints.
     While all of us give away alot of our services, we have to understand
that we are trying to achieve a viable and self standing profession here.  We
must be able to put a price on our professional time.  This is built into a
hearing aid purchase and our patients understand this, but when a hearing aid
is purchased elsewhere, we should not and cannot be expected to give our
services away.
     From a consumer's point of view...would you take a pair of glasses to
a different optical place and expect them to adjust the lenses at no charge?
Would you take a modem that you bought at Best Buys to Comp USA and ask them
to repair it or replace it?   Our patients will understand that we need to be
compensated for our professional time.  WE need to understand that our
expertise is indeed worth something.

Terri in GA