Ethics and Audiology

HearWHAC HearWHAC at netins.net
Sat Jul 22 11:54:59 EST 1995

In article <3ur215$gqc at newsbf02.news.aol.com>, hngbiker at aol.com says...

>I think I would advise the patient that you would be happy to fit the
>hearing aid, but would have to charge fair prices to cover your time,
>effort, overhead etc.

We discussed this possibility. However, we do not make similar charges to
our patients in the area. Because it is a small community, everybody is
either related or very good friends. We feel it would be difficult to charge
one person for our services when we do not charge other members of the
community. Inconsistency is difficult for some of us to understand,
especially when it comes from health-care professionals.

We also discussed what would be a "fair charge" to complete the fitting.
$150? $100? $200? $250? We are not working with a conventional linear
hearing aid here. This is a 3M and I just ordered another notebook computer
this week for this audiologist that provides services to this area. You know
what those things cost. They don't come cheap. And then there are other
"extra" charges associated with completing a 3M fitting that we would not
experience with more conventional hearing aids.

>I would also advise the patient to contact the
>clinic where the hearing aid was initially ordered and ask/demand a
>partial refund.

Actually I believe this is a pretty good idea. Do you suppose they would do
it?

How about some other suggestions? Anybody got any?

Paul Woodard
HearWHAC at netins.net