Tinitus triggered by sound

Sandy Santra santra at netcom.com
Wed Jul 12 02:20:41 EST 1995

I get ringing in my right ear when I am exposed to sound above a certain
dB level (i.e., no sound, no ringing).  The ringing is a specific pitch:
about an octave above the highest note of a piano.  In fact, that is when
the ringing is most noticeable: when I play the piano.  The pure tones are
so distinguishable that the ringing is then clearly evident.  But when
hearing loud machinery or music on a stereo, I don't notice the ringing
(as much) because it is mixed in with everything else.

I have had my ears tested.  They're fine.  The ear doctor I went to see
is not an expert, though.  Now I have the troubling task of tracking down
someone who really knows about hearing who might understand my condition.
The ringing is quite oppressive.  It wells up about a second after I
strike a chord on the piano and then decays at about the same rate as the
piano notes.

Playing the piano used to be enjoyable, but now it is painful.  Very
upsetting.

I do not know what this condition is.  I wish I had more information.
--
         "In an upstairs room, a modem made a connection."

                                         --Lincoln Spector

sandy santra              santra at netcom.com          el cerrito, california