NOAH and Windows 95

Tony Woolf tony at howl.demon.co.uk
Sun Dec 24 08:00:12 EST 1995

In article <4bip12$j53 at insosf1.netins.net> HearWHAC at netins.net "HearWHAC" writes:

> Again, a good idea. Does anyone know anything about ram doubler software? (I
> don't.)

"Ram doubler" software was first used on Mac computers and versions
have recently started appearing for the IBM PC.  I believe it works in
a similar way to the disk doubler programs that have been around for a
few years.  These take advantage of any redundancy in the data to
compress it before storing.  To give a very simple example, a long
string of spaces would be stored as a code that indicated how many
spaces there are.  Obviously the coding and decoding process is a
processing overhead that takes time, and also the doubler program
itself takes up some memory space.  I put the name in quotes because
you might not get double the space - this depends on what sort of data
it is dealing with.  Generally compression software works best with
big database files and worst with program files.

I recently read a review of two "ram doublers" for IBMPC in a UK
computer magazine.  The conclusion was that although there were
improvements in some aspects, overall they weren't worth buying.
However it's possible that some software will run with a "ram doubler"
when it won't run at all without one.  I would try before buying.

--
Tony Woolf