ABSOLUTE VOLUME CC"s FOR P.E. TUBES

Hound bhound at alaska.net
Thu Dec 14 19:52:05 EST 1995

In article <4aip14$ep0 at newsbf02.news.aol.com>, ctb1954 at aol.com says...

>DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY RELIABLE DATA OF THE ABSOLUTE VOLUME CC"s or mL,
FOR
>DETERMINING PATENCY VS. NON-PATENCY OF P.E. TUBES AS A FUNCTION OF AGE?
>I SAW AN 8 YR OLD WHO HAD BILAT P.E. TUBES WITH A 1.4 cc ABS. VOL A.S.
AND
>A 3.1 cc ABS VOL. A.D.  THE MOM TOOK HIM BACK TO THE E.N.T. WHO SAID
BOTH
>TUBES WERE FINE. I SAID NO. WHO'S RIGHT.
>ctb1954 at aol.com

Probably the ENT, since he visualized, probably thru a scope, the tube
being patent.  From my experience, this is a fairly typical finding.
Yeah, it would be nice if all tubes that are functional would register
3.0 cc's or greater, but in real life it doesn't always happen that way.
Check the references in Clinical Impedance Audiometry or Hearing in
Children.  I believe Northern and Downs did some studies about 1978 that
are contained in those books.