Info on percieved loudness frequency response of human ear needed

Dave Sewell drs5 at le.ac.uk
Fri Dec 1 12:27:12 EST 1995

mike at bmt2.kf.TU-Berlin.DE () wrote:
>I'm studying the frequencies generated by automotive engines and am interested
>in which frequencies to which the ear is sensitive or are unpleasant.
>
>Many thanks in advance.

Snsitivities can be found in any good text on hearing e.g. Pickles, J.O.
'An intro to the physiology of hearing' 2nd ed. 1988, Academic Press.

Unpleasant frequencies - a whole different ball game. I suspect it is
combinations of frequencies (rather than specific freqs.) or sustained
single frequencies that prove unpleasant. This is a physcometrical
measure, and probably differs from person to person.
E.g. fingernails on a board do nothing for me, but a stiff brush on
concrete , christ, now your talking unpleasant!

To find this sort of info. you may have to devise a small range of tests
with willing subjects yourself. Play them a few commonly irritating
noises, do an FFT, spot the common features (a PhD!!???)

Dave