Repost: bicros hearing aids

Jeffrey G. Sirianni sirianni at UTS.CC.UTEXAS.EDU
Fri Dec 1 09:14:21 EST 1995

Repost of email received from Julie Shaw (jshaw at ix.netcom.com)

>This is my first time in this group as I am new to the net but I was
>interested in what you had to say about CROS aids.  I wear CROS aids
>and have for 3 years now.  I am an E.R. nurse from Ohio and was
>involved in an auto accident that left me with profound hearing loss in
>one ear (from a perilymph fistula sustained when I hit my head on the
>door frame).  As you can imagine, working in a loud, busy E.R. hearing
>rehab was quite a challenge (one that I am still working on).  Without
>my CROS aids I cannot communicate with anyone I cannot see.  I cannot
>locate where they are speaking from or distinguish enough words in some
>cases to get meaning from sentances.  Figuring out which patient's
>heart monitor is alarming is an impossibility.  All of things are
>essential for me to work in an environment that is fast paced and in
>some cases life dependent.  My CROS aids help me hear sounds I would
>otherwise miss as well as locate sound direction some.  I take them out
>to use a stethoscope (which is also amplified thanks to Starkey) and
>can tell as soon as someone starts to talk to me or a patient alarm
>goes off if I have forgotten to put them back in immediately.  I have
>one normal ear and one ear that is essentially useless to me.  I am
>always amazed at the extent it affects my life.  My CROS aids
>definitely add to my communication abilities.  If you know anyone who
>is a nurse or doctor and has experiences similar to mine I would love
>to hear from you.  I don't like the way my stethoscope functions and am
>always looking for improvements.  Thanks for your time.
>

>Julie S.
>Cincinnati, Ohio

* Jeff Sirianni                        *
* University of Texas at Austin        *
* Communication Sciences and Disorders *
* sirianni at uts.cc.utexas.edu           *
* jgsaudio at aol.com                     *