LOW Pay for Audiologists!

Julie O'Rourke bugaboo at neosoft.com
Thu Aug 17 10:37:46 EST 1995

In article <9508151249.AA15017 at linknet.net> djcoffin at LINKNET.NET (David & Gwen Coffin) writes:
>From: djcoffin at LINKNET.NET (David & Gwen Coffin)
>Subject: LOW Pay for Audiologists!
>Date: 15 Aug 1995 05:50:34 -0700

David,
I, too, am an Audiologist looking for a career change.  I sincerely believe
the problem with pay is not just supply and demand(which is indeed a
problem), but it is a problem with the fact that we tend to work for not
with physicians.   As a CFY in 1990, I worked for 19,000/yr for two ENTs.  I
was not seeing half the patients I should have been seeing.  I remember
clearly overhearing one of the physicians stating to a patient that because
of their ear infection that they had a 30dB loss and he knew this by a simple
otoscopic examination!!  When I did see patients, I was told what tests to
perform and followed instructions because if I didn't I feared losing my job.

I left the position because I knew I could not function up to my ethical
standards (many Audiologists have no problem functioning in positions like
this and many don't understand why I have a problem with this ).
Unfortunately, I have found too many positions like this although most ENTs
are more aware of audiological assessments.   IMHO, we as Audiologists will
never become true professional until we completely stop working for ENTs- ---
- - an ENT should NEVER have a financial interest in the tests he orders from
another professional.   I believe that we as professionals will need to
develop our own practices or go into partnerships with the ENT professionals
to stand as the independent professionals very few recognize us to be.

I guess I'm venting here also.  My experience with the profession since
graduation has been solely negative.  My job following my CFY was so stressful
that a mildly chronic health condition left me bedridden for a year and I have
not worked full time in this profession since as my condition has become very
severe.

I am desperately looking for a new profession.  If anyone knows how our skills
can transfer to other careers,  please e-mail me.

Thanks for letting me vent as I'm new to the net and this topic just happened
to stir my emotions.

Julie
bugaboo at neosoft.com

>As some of you may have seen me mention, for the past few
months I have been >looking for a change in jobs.  I have always known that a
one cannot get >rich by being a clinical audiologist.  But, it just seems that
the amount of >money some employers are offering is ridiculously low!.   Last
week I sent a >resume to a clinic in the San Francisco bay area.  They called
me for an >interview.  I was considering it until I asked for a pay range.
They were >wanting to pay someone with their CCC $25,000, and a CFY $23,000.
You >couldn't even live on that in that area!   I am sure that they know many