[Arabidopsis] Position Opening - Postdoctoral Research Associate - Biochemistry and Engineering of Plant Metal Transporters

Takahashi, Hideki via arab-gen%40net.bio.net (by htakaha from msu.edu)
Tue Oct 2 15:58:58 EST 2018

A postdoctoral research associate position in plant metal transporters is i=
mmediately available at the Department of Biochemistry & Molecular Biology,=
 Michigan State University. The position is available under a collaborative=
 project between Dr. Jian Hu=92s laboratory (https://bmb.natsci.msu.edu/fac=
ulty/jian-hu/) and Dr. Hideki Takahashi=92s laboratory (https://bmb.natsci.=
msu.edu/faculty/hideki-takahashi/). Based on recent work by Hu laboratory, =
which establishes the structural framework of the ZIP metal transporters (N=
ature Communications, 2016; Science Advances, 2017), we apply the obtained =
structural knowledge and our strong expertise in biology of membrane transp=
orters to be integrated for molecular engineering of the plant ZIPs with a =
perspective on building a strategy for prevention of cadmium contamination =
in food. The plant ZIPs are critical for uptake of essential transition met=
als (zinc, iron, and manganese) but also involved in absorption of toxic ca=
dmium. The postdoctoral research associate will work closely with both labo=
ratories to biochemically and functionally characterize a panel of wild typ=
e and engineered plant ZIPs by using yeast and Arabidopsis thaliana as mode=
l systems. Our goal is to generate genetically modified plants expressing t=
he ZIP variants, for which we expect reduction of cadmium accumulation with=
 little or no negative impact on uptake of the essential metal ions. This p=
ostdoctoral position can be initially supported for two years with a possib=
le renewal based on mutual satisfaction and depending on availability of ad=
ditional funding.

The prospective candidate must hold a Ph.D. degree in molecular biology and=
 biochemistry or related fields at the time of the employment, and be highl=
y self-motivated to pursue the collaborative research project. We strongly =
encourage candidates at early stages of their career to apply, while highly=
 accomplished senior candidates may also be considered for this opportunity=
. Hands-on experience in molecular biology and genetics of yeast and/or Ara=
bidopsis thaliana is required. Understanding of protein biochemistry and pr=
otein structure is desirable, but not necessary. Interested individuals sho=
uld submit a brief cover letter, CV, and the names and the contact informat=
ion of three referees to Dr. Jian Hu (hujian1 from msu.edu<mailto:hujian1 from msu.ed=
u>) and Dr. Hideki Takahashi (htakaha from msu.edu<mailto:htakaha from msu.edu>).

Hideki Takahashi, Ph.D.
Associate Professor
Michigan State University
Biochemistry Building
603 Wilson Road, East Lansing, MI 48824, USA

Office and Lab location:
3280 Molecular Plant Sciences Building
1066 Bogue Street, East Lansing, MI 48824, USA

Email: htakaha from msu.edu
Phone: 1-517-355-1897
Fax: 1-517-353-9334
https://bmb.natsci.msu.edu/faculty/hideki-takahashi/