[Arabidopsis] Lasercapture Microdissection & RNASeq summer workshop

Julia Frugoli via arab-gen%40net.bio.net (by momofdk.nk.rk from gmail.com)
Tue Jan 30 09:54:10 EST 2018

LCM-Laser Capture Microdissection-is a technique used to isolate individual cells and tissues from intact whole organisms after fixation. A Laser Capture microscope allows cutting of the tissue with a laser beam and capture in a tube for further analysis. Under the right conditions, captured tissue can be used to make RNA libraries for subsequent sequencing, allowing for expression analysis from separate cell types.  Although the availability of some genome sequence makes the informatics easier, a sequenced genome is not required for analysis.

Through NSF, we are offering a week-long summer workshop May 20-25, 2018 at Clemson University in South Carolina.  A selected group of graduate students, postdoctoral researchers and principle investigators will learn LCM and RNASeq, allowing them to design and perform their own experiments.  Successful completion of the course also allows free use of the Clemson LCM facility for a small or pilot project in the future. Hands-on experience with each step in the process, including the informatics, will occur with plant material we provide, but the process can be used for other organisms as well.  The workshop is free to selected applicants; a significant number of grants are available to cover travel, housing and meals for the week. Members of underrepresented groups and participants from PUIs are strongly encouraged to apply.

More information is available at our website:

http://lasernode.org/outreach/

Download the application at:

http://lasernode.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/LCM-Workshop-app-2018.pdf

Return the completed application materials as an attachment to an email to jfrugol from clemson.edu with “LCM WORKSHOP” in the subject line by March 16, 2017.

The workshop is limited to 10 participants.
We look forward to seeing you this summer!
Funded by NSF IOS-144446

Dr. Julia Frugoli
Associate Dean for Inclusive Excellence and Graduate Education
College of Science
120 Long Hall
Clemson, SC 29634
864-656-1859

Research Office: 206 Biosystems Research Complex
Lab: 204 Biosystems Research Complex

http://www.people.clemson.edu/~jfrugol