[Arabidopsis] PhD student position, Sunfleck Perception and Signalling in Plants, University of Geneva, Switzerland

Roman Ulm via arab-gen%40net.bio.net (by Roman.Ulm from unige.ch)
Fri Dec 15 05:03:01 EST 2017

PhD student position available
Sunfleck Perception and Signalling in Plants
University of Geneva, Switzerland

Applications are invited for a PhD student position in the research team of Roman Ulm to investigate the molecular mechanisms involved in the perception of natural sunflecks by plants and the function of the UV-B photoreceptor UVR8 in this process. Sunflecks are ecophysiologically and agriculturally important as source of energy for carbon gain; however, a molecular understanding of how plant organs perceive and respond to sunflecks is scarce. This project will be carried out in collaboration with Jorge J. Casal (IFEVA, University of Buenos Aires and CONICET, Buenos Aires, Argentina; and Fundación Instituto Leloir, Buenos Aires, Argentina) in frame of a Swiss National Foundation funded grant within the Argentinian-Swiss Joint Research Programme (ASJRP).

We seek for talented and highly motivated candidates with strong interest in plant signal transduction to understand the influence of the light environment on plant growth and development. Our group has a strong interest in early UV-B photoreceptor-mediated events regulating UV-B-induced photomorphogenesis and acclimation in plants (for more information on our group please see http://biveg.unige.ch/labs/ulm). We explore state-of-the-art methods in molecular biology, molecular genetics, biochemistry, cell biology and ecophysiology to identify the molecular identities and functions of key factors involved in UV-B perception, signalling and responses.

The successful candidate should hold (or be in the process of getting) an M.Sc. degree in Biology, Biochemistry or related. Experience in basic molecular techniques is expected.

Please send a single pdf file with your motivation letter, CV, degrees, possible starting date and contact details of two references by email to Roman Ulm (roman.ulm from unige.ch<mailto:roman.ulm from unige.ch>).

Review of applications will begin immediately and applications will be accepted until the position is filled.

Geneva offers an outstanding environment for study and research in the Molecular Life Sciences, as well as a vibrant cosmopolitan cultural life and beautiful natural settings for outdoor activities.

The successful PhD student candidate will be embedded in the University of Geneva International PhD program in Life Sciences (http://lifesciencesphd.unige.ch/).