[Arabidopsis] GV3101::pMP90 -- '::' indicates integration in bacterial chromosome?

Steen Hoyer via arab-gen%40net.bio.net (by j.s.hoyer from wustl.edu)
Tue Jan 12 19:50:35 EST 2016

Agrobacterium notation question: what does '::', in the name of a strain
such as 'GV3101::pMP90' indicate? Does it indicate that a cassette was
integrated into an Agrobacterium chromosome?

I am particularly interested in pMP90. A review by Hellens et al.
(reference 1 below) implies that the relevant parts of the plasmid were
integrated, but I cannot tell if that is the case from the original
reference (Koncz and Schell 1986; ref 2).

Many authors state that they used GV3101 without specifying which helper
plasmid (if any) they used with it. Sometimes they indicate the helper
function in parentheses, implying (I think) the function is present as a
plasmid. If integrated into a chromosome, it would not be strictly
necessary to maintain antibiotic selection, and so users might not think
about whether the helper function was present.

Dr. Koncz,  I hope you do not mind my sending this question to a mailing
list---this is a difficult-to-google question, so I thought it would be
useful to query in a public forum. Thanks for developing such useful
strains and plasmids!

Thanks and best wishes,
       Steen

1. Hellens et al. http://doi.org/10.1016/S1360-1385(00)01740-4