[Arabidopsis] Input to NAASC on training for 21st Century Biology/ICAR 2017 in US/ NAASC election outcome

Joanna Friesner via arab-gen%40net.bio.net (by jdfriesner from ucdavis.edu)
Mon Jan 4 13:39:30 EST 2016

Dear North American Arabidopsis community-

Siobhan Brady (PI) and I (co-PI), on behalf of NAASC, recently secured a 5 year NSF award entitled "RCN: Arabidopsis Research and Training for the 21st Century (ART-21)".
Major activities include soliciting community input via online surveys, workshops and focus groups, and conducting activities at the International Conferences on Arabidopsis Research (ICARs).
This first award year focuses on "Computational training of biologists for academia and industry in the 21st Century. " Overall grant objectives and abstract URL are listed at the bottom of this message.
**Today I ask for your input on a very brief survey about the bioinformatics and computational skills needed by 21st century biologists; the obstacles to providing students and researchers with these needed skills; and recommendations for current and future training and education. We will use the information we receive in this survey to inform upcoming activities including a focus group, webinar, workshop at ICAR 2016, and workshop and new platform sessions at ICAR 2017 in the US (see below), as well as an associated hands-on workshop adjacent to ICAR 2017.***

**As an extra incentive to participate in the survey NAASC will give a $50 Amazon gift card to one randomly-chosen respondent that opts to provide their email address and be entered into the drawing (this is optional, you can respond to the survey without entering this information.)**

YOU MAY HAVE RECEIVED AN EMAIL WITH SURVEY LINK FROM ME ON THE MORNING ON JAN. 4TH. IF YOU DID- PLEASE ACCESS THE SURVEY VIA THAT LINK.
IF YOU DID NOT, YOU MAY USE THIS URL (PLEASE ONLY RESPOND ONCE!)
https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/ART21_NAASC_Quant_Comp_Bio

Other key updates:
Please save the date/location for ICAR 2017 which will be held in St. Louis, Missouri, USA within the timeframe of June 18-23, 2017! [ICAR 2016 is in South Korea and you can visit http://icar2016.arabidopsisresearch.org/icar2016/ for information from our Korean colleagues]

Finally-
Please welcome the two newly elected members of NAASC, elected by the community in a recent online ballot:

***Elizabeth Haswell: Washington University in St. Louis
***Jose Dinneny: Carnegie Institution for Science
(Many thanks to all that nominated, agreed to stand for election, and voted!)

Thank you in advance for your input to this current activity which NAASC members are undertaking as volunteers on behalf of the North American Arabidopsis community.
-Joanna
NAASC Coordinator
PS- On the survey you can (optionally) include your email address to receive updates on future grant activities (e.g. workshops, webinars, funding opportunities, etc.)

RCN: Arabidopsis Research and Training for the 21st Century (ART-21)
www.nsf.gov/awardsearch/showAward?AWD_ID=1518280<http://www.nsf.gov/awardsearch/showAward?AWD_ID=1518280>

ART-21 award's key objectives are to :
(1)Identify emerging technologies where using Arabidopsis as a model organism will provide fundamental discoveries and enable translational research in crop species.

(2) Enhance interdisciplinary training of scientists for academia and extra-academic careers.

(3) Increase diversity of Arabidopsis research scientists using targeted mechanisms