[Arabidopsis] PhD scholarship

Liz.Dennis from csiro.au via arab-gen%40net.bio.net (by Liz.Dennis from csiro.au)
Mon Aug 1 23:00:40 EST 2016

Sorry I send the information as an attachment. Here is the text. Liz Dennis

PhD student position with Drs Jim Peacock and Liz Dennis
We are looking for a motivated student to join our group working on the molecular basis of hybrid vigour.  Hybrid vigour has long been used in Agriculture because of the increased productivity of hybrids but its molecular basis is only now being elucidated. We use both Arabidopsis and crop plants such as canola and rice as our systems. We are also making hybrid mimics - plants that are pure breeding with the yield approaching that of hybrids as these may boost yield in systems where there are no hybrid production systems and provide a way for developing country farmers can gain the benefits of hybrids without the cost of hybrid seed.

The student would be enrolled at the University of Technology, Sydney and be mainly based in the CSIRO laboratories in Canberra. http://www.plantphysiol.org/content/168/4/1197.abstract
The scholarship would cover fees and living allowance of approximately $25,000 with a top up of $7000. Our lab provides a stimulating environment for a student and an opportunity to work on a project of great significance in biology and also in food security. There are funds for research support.
Here are hyperlinks to several of our papers

http://www.pnas.org/content/112/35/E4959.full.pdf Hybrid Mimics

http://www.cell.com/trends/genetics/abstract/S0168-9525(13)00125-X Review

http://www.plantphysiol.org/content/168/4/1197.abstract Review

Interested? Contact  Lillian.crombie from csiro.au<mailto:Lillian.crombie from csiro.au>, jim.peacock from csiro.au<mailto:jim.peacock from csiro.au> or liz.dennis from csiro.au