[Arabidopsis] Welsh Coast- New MSc at Aberystwyth University

Joanna Friesner via arab-gen%40net.bio.net (by jdfriesner from UCDAVIS.EDU)
Thu Apr 30 12:34:09 EST 2015

>From Dr. Kim Kenobi:

Dear All

I am writing to let you know about a new MSc in statistics for computational biology that I have helped to set up in Aberystwyth University.  It is open to graduates with at least a high 2:2 in biology, mathematics or computer science.  It is taught jointly by the departments of Computer Science, Mathematics and Biology.  Students are exposed to a variety of current topics in biology, taught some programming skills (R and Python), attend statistics courses that cover a good range of statistical tools and analyses, and carry out a substantial research project at the end of the course.

I am responsible for the statistical part of the course.  Before moving to Aberystwyth in October last year, I spent six and a half years working as a statistics postdoc at the Centre for Plant Integrative Biology on the Sutton Bonington Campus of the University of Nottingham.  Plant biology is a strong feature of the biology department of Aberystwyth University, including the National Plant Phenomics Centre on the rural Gogerddan campus.  I think that for plant science graduates who are interested in developing their understanding of statistics in a biological context, the presence of the National Plant Phenomics Centre and researchers in other areas of plant biology are attractive features of studying for this MSc at Aberystwyth University.  Also, Aberystwyth is a beautiful place to study.

So, if you know somebody who is finishing a plant biology (or biology) degree, and might be interested in developing their understanding of statistics for biological applications by pursuing a masters degree, it would be wonderful if you could bring the MSc in statistics for computational biology at Aberystwyth University to their attention.  Please see the attached flyer for more information, and contact me, Kim Kenobi (kik10 from aber.ac.uk<mailto:kik10 from aber.ac.uk>), or Edel Sherratt (eds from aber.ac.uk<mailto:eds from aber.ac.uk>) to find out more about the course.

Thank you for giving this your consideration

Kim

Dr Kim Kenobi
Statistics Lecturer
Aberystwyth University
kik10 from aber.ac.uk<mailto:kik10 from aber.ac.uk>
Tel: 01970 622767