[Arabidopsis] germination of older Arabidopsis seeds

Tobias Baskin via arab-gen%40net.bio.net (by Tobias.Baskin from nottingham.ac.uk)
Wed Apr 8 05:00:36 EST 2015

Nadia,
           Seeds differ amazingly in how long they stay viable. We have
certainly had lines older than 5 years germinate just fine without any
trouble. Probably a complex mixture of genotype and conditions during
plant growth/seed set and seed storage conditions. Just have to try.

But we have had some luck coaxing seed to germinate by treating them
with 5 mM H2O2 (1 mL in an ep tube) for 24 or 48 h, at 4C, in the dark.
Then plate. This doesn't always work but it does sometimes.

         Good luck,
                             Tobias

On 4/6/15 9:38 PM, Alamri, Nadiyah (MU-Student) wrote:
> Hello,
>

> I am a plant science student and I want to germinate old Arabidopsis seeds around 5 years old.
>
>   I find out that you have experience with germinating old seeds. So, please if you have any protocol, that would help me to germinate my seeds and plant them,send it to me..
>

> Thank you,
>

> All bests,
>
> Nadia

> --
>        __    ___   ^    ___   ___   Tobias I. Baskin
>       /  \  /     / \  /      \      Professor UMass Amherst
>      /   / /     /   \ \       \        &  8/14 - 7/15
>     / __/ /__   /___  \ \       \__    Marie Curie Fellow
>    /     /     /       \ \       \      University of Nottingham
>   /     /     /         \ \       \      Plant Science Sutton Bonington
> /     /___  /           \ \___/   \_____ Loughborough   UK   LE12 5RD
>    www.bio.umass.edu/biology/baskin        (44) 0115 951-6504

University of Nottingham.

permitted by UK legislation.