[Arabidopsis] PhD meiosis/recombination

Charles White via arab-gen%40net.bio.net (by chwhite from univ-bpclermont.fr)
Wed Dec 18 11:29:10 EST 2013

PhD in France

Roles of recombination in meiotic pairing and synapsis of specific chromosomal regions in Arabidopsis
. The COMREC network : "Control of Meiotic Recombination: Arabidopsis to Crops".

We are recruiting a PhD student to take up a 3-year fellowship funded by the European Union Marie Curie Initial Training Network (ITN) program. The successful candidate PhD student will benefit from an exciting, multi-disciplinary, multi-national research environment in this network which includes 13 partners from 6 european countries. The fellowship will available from the 1st of April 2014.

During meiosis homologous chromosomes pair, recombine, and synapse, thus ensuring accurate chromosome segregation and the halving of ploidy necessary for gametogenesis. The processes permitting a chromosome to pair only with its homologue are not fully understood, but successful pairing of homologous chromosomes is tightly linked to recombination and genetic crossing-over. Elucidation of the mechanisms determining recombination patterns in specific genomic regions, and particularly around centromeres, is of considerable practical importance. A clear example of this is seen with wheat, in which 90% of crossing over occurs in 40% of the genome. Understanding the control of crossing-over distribution is thus a major aim of many research groups around the world.

Building on the group's recent results on molecular mechanisms of recombination in the plant, Arabidopsis thaliana, the PhD project aims at understanding of the differing meiotic pairing and recombination behaviour of centromeric regions with respect to chromosome arms. Does this involve chromatin structure (histones … ), small RNAs, specific DNA sequences, … ? What determines the differing roles of DMC1 and RAD51 in meiotic pairing of centromeres versus chromsome arms in Arabidopsis ? Can we further differentiate their roles ?

The student will carry out his or her research under the supervision of Dr Charles I. White (http://charleswhi.perso.sfr.fr/reclab/welcome.html ). Our group is part of the CNRS/INSERM/University research unit ( http://www.gred-clermont.fr/ ) on the campus of the Universite Blaise Pascal (http://www.univ-bpclermont.fr/rubrique10.html ) in Clermont-Ferrand, capital of the Auvergne region of France. The PhD will be carried out in close cooperation with the other students and research teams in the COMREC programme.

Requirements :
Candidates should have a strong background in genetics and preferably also in molecular biology. The general programme description and required knowledge, skills, qualifications and experience, can be found at www.birmingham.ac.uk/comrec, or http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/Documents/college-les/COMRECFurtherInfoForApplicants.pdf.

EU Marie Curie Initial Training Network eligibility conditions apply:
- Early-Stage Researchers must (at the time of recruitment by the host organisation): be in the first four years (full-time equivalent research experience) of their research careers and have not yet been awarded a doctoral degree. Full-time equivalent research experience is measured from the date when they obtained the degree which would formally entitle them to embark on a doctorate, either in the country in which the degree was obtained or in the country in which the research training is provided, irrespective of whether or not a doctorate is envisaged.
- Mobility: at the time of recruitment by the host organisation, researchers must not have resided or carried out their main activity (work, studies, etc) in the country of their proposed host organisation for more than 12 months in the 3 years immediately prior to the reference date. Short stays such as holidays and/or compulsory national service are not taken into account.

Application : Please use the form provided at http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/comrec and send a filled-in copy to Charles White by e-mail (chwhite from univ-bpclermont.fr).

4 recent publications of the group:

·       Da Ines, O., Degroote, F., Goubely, C., Amiard, S., Gallego, M.E. and C. I. White. (2013). Meiotic Recombination in Arabidopsis Is Catalysed by DMC1, with RAD51 Playing a Supporting Role. PLoS Genetics 9(9): e1003787.

·       Serra, H., Da Ines, O., Degroote, F., Gallego, M.E. and C. I. White. (2013). Functions of XRCC2, RAD51B and RAD51D in RAD51-independent SSA recombination. PLoS Genetics 9(11): e1003971.

·       Wei W., Ba, Z., Gao, M., Wu, Y., Ma, Y., Amiard, S., White, C.I., Danielsen, J.M.R., Yang, Y-G. and Yijun Qi. (2012). A Role for Small RNAs in DNA Double-Strand Break Repair. Cell 149: 101-112

Da Ines, O., Abe, K., Goubely, C., Gallego, M.E. and C. I. White. (2012). Differing requirements for RAD51 and DMC1 in meiotic pairing of centromeres and chromosome arms in Arabidopsis. PLoS Genetics.

Charles White, PhD
Directeur de Recherche, CNRS
----
Génétique, Reproduction et Développement
UMR CNRS 6293 - Clermont Université - INSERM U1103
Université Blaise Pascal,
BP80026, 63171 Aubière cedex, FRANCE

http://charleswhi.perso.sfr.fr/reclab/welcome.html
http://www.gred-clermont.fr/