Cryobiofrontier Research Center (CRC), Faculty of Agriculture, Iwate
University, invites application for one non-tenure track assistant professor
position in the Division of Systems Thermobiology. This position is only
open for non-Japanese women researchers.
Iwate University is located at Morioka City, Iwate Prefecture, approximately
500 km north of Tokyo. Iwate University was established in 1949 and now has
both undergraduate and graduate schools with approximately 800 staff members
and 6,300 students. CRC was founded in 2008 as a research center affiliated
with the Faculty of Agriculture of Iwate University. CRC is one of the
leading research centers in Japan in the field of cryobiological sciences.
The center consists of four research divisions, currently accommodating
seven faculty members. The primary research focus of Division of Systems
Thermobiology includes the structure and function of the mitochondrial
alternative oxidases and respiration control in thermogenic plants.
Required Qualifications: Applicants must be a foreign national holding a
Ph.D. in Biology and have demonstrated ability to conduct advanced and
collaborative research in the field of bioenergetics, including cellular
respiration, using a combinatorial approach of biochemistry, molecular
biology and plant physiology. Relevant postdoctoral experience will be
Salary: Annual salary will be commensurate with experience and ability in
accordance with the provisions of Iwate University.
Date of employment: May1, 2012 (or the earliest possible date thereafter)
Duration: Initial contract will be for three years, up to March 2015, with
an annual renewal policy. The contract may be extended for additional
two-year term (up to March 2017) depending on the appointee's performance.
Required Documentation (provide all in English):
1. Curriculum vitae (with e-mail address).
2. List of publications, research grants awarded, and patents obtained by
the applicant (including those in progress).
3. Reprints (or photocopies) of three key papers.
4. Name, affiliated organization, contact phone/fax number, e-mail address,
and mailing address of two references.
5. A statement of research achievements and future research plan.
6. A cover letter describing candidate's competence for the position.
1. The successful candidate is expected to supervise undergraduate/graduate
student's research at the CRC.
2. The appointee may be requested to teach biology-related courses at
undergraduate and/or graduate levels in English.
4. Decision by the selection committee will be notified to all applicants at
the earliest convenience. Application materials are non-returnable.
5. Only short listed candidates will be contacted for interview.
6. Informal inquiries about CRC/Iwate University or current opening should
be directed to Prof. Ken-ichi Tsutsumi, chair, selection committee.
7. Iwate University is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action Employer.
Completed applications must arrive at Iwate University by March 31, 2012.
Addresses for submitting the application:
Prof. Ken-ichi TSUTSUMI
Chair, Selection Committee
Cryobiofrontier Research Center
Faculty of Agriculture, Iwate University
Morioka, Iwate 020-8550, Japan
Email: kentsu from iwate-u.ac.jp
This job opening is limited to women as a 'measure in connection with women
workers with the purpose of improving circumstances that impede the securing
of equal opportunity and treatment between men and women in employment'
based on the article 8 of the Act on Securing, Ect. of Equal Opportunity and
Treatment between Men and Women in Employment (Act No. 113 of 1972.)
Thanks and best regards,
Abidur Rahman, Ph.D
Cryobiofrontier Research Center
Faculty of Agriculture
Ueda 3-18-8, Morioka 020-8550
email: abidur from iwate-u.ac.jp