[Arabidopsis] brands of agar

Forde, Brian via arab-gen%40net.bio.net (by b.g.forde from lancaster.ac.uk)
Wed Feb 13 12:13:34 EST 2008

Hi Tobias, and Arabidopsis colleagues

Phytagel and Phytagar are definitely different. Phytagar is a genuine
agar (or, I believe, a blend of agars, presumably of algal origin),
while Phytagel is an agar subsitute (other names Gellan gum, Kelcogel,
Gelrite, Gel-Gro) that is produced as a fermentation product by a pure
culture of the bacterium Sphingomonas elodea.

Chemically, agar is a galactose polymer, while Phytagel consists of four
linked monosaccharides, including one molecule of rhamnose, one molecule
of glucuronic acid and two molecules of glucose. The physical properties
of the two gels definitely differ and some people use mixtures of the
two. A different behaviour of root hairs on the two substrates was
reported in this paper from Rich Meagher's lab:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12481103.

I'm not sure if Invitrogen still supply Phytagel - I just looked and
couldn't find it. There is another product called Phytoblend supplied by
Caisson Laboratories Inc and which they say is similar.

all the best

Brian

=====================================

Brian G. Forde

Prof. of Environmental Plant Biotechnology

Department of Biological Sciences

Lancaster Environment Centre

Lancaster University

Bailrigg