electrocompetent cells?

Dan Riggs riggs at utsc.utoronto.ca
Thu May 8 08:49:44 EST 2003

Dear All:

Historically, we have prepared our own electrocompetent E. coli for
transformation.  The protocol is simple, involving growing cells to mid
log phase, washing them extensively in water, and storing them in 10%
glycerol.   Sometimes they are great and sometimes they are relatively
useless despite no (apparent) changes in the protocol.  Can anyone
explain this mystery to me or better yet, suggest a more reliable
protocol?  Thanks for your help.

Dan Riggs